Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:34:38 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        Troy Compton <troyc@thepoint.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589C and 3.2-RELEASE

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 05:14:10PM -0400, Troy Compton wrote:
> I'm having quite a difficult time getting 3.2-RELEASE to recognize my
> 3C589C.  I have searched the mailing list archives for clues and have
> come up with nothing.  I *think* I am following the tips that I was able
> to find.
>
> My hardware is an HP Omnibook 5000CTS Pentium 120 and (obviously) a 3Com
> 3C589C.  I've booted it to DOS and used the 3Com utility to manually set
> the IRQ to 10 and the IO address to 300, also noting the Mem IO address
> (which in my case is DE00h).  I then booted the 3.2-RELEASE installation
> disks and modified the zp0 driver from mem IO from 0xd8000 to 0xde00,
> left IRQ and IO address alone and deactivated all other NIC drivers
> (also deactivated all other unnecessary drivers for my hardware config).
> Once I get to the main installation screen, I alt-F2 over (with my
> fingers crossed) and the only network device found is lp0.
>
> The only other useful information I have is that I've tried two
> different 3c589C's and booted with both to Windoze and the network on
> the same machine.  My question is what am I missing?  Please help me
> replace Win95 with FreeBSD!! :)

You will be better off using the pccard feature than tring to use the zp9
device. Look at /etc/pccard.conf.sample. Your card is supported under
pccard. Do the following steps to get the 3C589C working.

1.  copy /etc/pccard.conf.sample to /etc/pccard.conf

2.  In your kernel configuration file enable the pccard support by
    uncommenting the following items

        controller     card0
        device         pcic0   at card?
        device         pcic1   at card?

3.  Make sure the ep0 device is enabled in the kernel config

4.  Remake your kernel

5.  In the /etc/rc.conf file make sure pccard_enable is set to YES

That should do it.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses