Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 12:39:28 -0400
From:      "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        Russell Francis <frussell@p1.cs.ohiou.edu>
Cc:        Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: saving files with netscape (permission denied)

ok so i can save then to a folder in my home directory just not to the
root of my hmoe directory.  and yes i was wrong i am trying to save it in
/home/username.....so that is the correct way to save it....unless i want
to say it to a folder (which i did) in my hmoe directory..so..wonder what
it could be?

Jasoin

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Russell Francis wrote:

> > I went to download a file using netscape and it says permission denied.
> > Obviosly this has to do with permissions.
>
> Sure does!
>
> >  I executed X (startx) as
> > "/usr/home/username/startx"  and of course i am "logged in as
> > "username"
>
> Are you sure about this?  On my system startx is /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> another popular startup script is /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit
>
> > when i go to save a file to /usr/home/username/ i get the permission
> > denied error while trying to save the file.
>
> Are you sure about this?  My home directory is /home/username
> /usr/*  is for system files and I don't think it is writable except
> /usr/tmp by anyone but <root>.  try
>
> #ls -lsa /usr
>
> > What do i need to do to allow netscape to save files to my home directory?
>
> Try saving them to /home/username or use the `~' character as it defaults
> to your home directory whatever it may be! i.e.
> ~/downloads/somefile.tar.gz
>
> is the same as
>
> /home/<username>/downloads/somefile.tar.gz
>

> Good Luck,
> Russell Francis

G. Jason Middleton