Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:48:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, at 18:43 [=GMT+0100], Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On Jan 26 at 23:48, Marc Schneiders spoke:
>
> > A more permanent solution is to run secondary for root. This has

> But if everybody does this the root servers will probably be much
> more loaded, won't they?

As has been pointed out by Mark Andrews of ISC, the Bind maintainers,
the answer to this type of question as yet has to be determined. We
don't know. Let's not pretend we do.

> So it's probably only for `privileged' users?

Anybody can do it, and lots of people are doing it. I am imagining
that people who run just Windows Stable now, will not all start
messing with their DNS all of a sudden.

And anyway, it is unclear whether it would mean more or less traffic.

> > attack on the root-servers, you won't suffer from it, for you have the
> > data yourself. And they don't change much.
>
> If root is handled in hint mode I shouldn't suffer too much anyway?

Sure, when you need a new TLD, or one that has just expired in your
cache, with the hints system, you either get no answer, or it takes
longer.

http://www.open-rsc.org/

> Is it's data identical with the one from the NET
> servers? Or das it have more or different data?

"alternative, extra" in my message, fully answers that.

> Is it where the hijacks (dns-spoofs) come from?

No, those are Windows 2000 machines that try to update your zones.