Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 17:28:11 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 causes machine lockup

>  In looking through the archives I found this message which appears
>to be similar, though with different hardware:
>
>>From: "Mike Durian" <durian@plutotech.com>
>>Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:45:27 -0600
>>Subject: strange interaction with Pentium and fxp

   That turned out to be caused by some local kernel changes that they had
made - they had a SCSI card's EEPROM responding to physical addresses that
were in the area of system RAM. This caused the DMA to hang; it wasn't bug
in FreeBSD or the hardware and it went away when they fixed their code.
   I don't have any idea why your machine is hanging. Very odd and your's
is the only report I've gotten of a problem like that. The first thing to
do would be to figure out if it is a DMA or interrupt problem by adding
printf's all over the place inside the driver, and then see where it dies.

-DG

David Greenman