Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:50:48 +0000
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@gmail.com>
To:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Syntax of dhclient.conf(5)

There should be semicolons after each line.

On 13/01/06, Parv <parv@pair.com> wrote:
> I failed to find detailed syntax layout in dhclient.conf(5) man page,
> via web search, or be able to deduce from files in
> /misc/src/sbin/dhclient.  I was looking for something like as given in
> (i)pf.conf(5) man pages.
>
> Could somebody point me to a detailed document documenting the syntax?
> Alternatively, please help me understand what am i missing from the
> dhclient.conf listed below which results in following parsing error
> messages ...
>
>   /etc/dhclient.conf line 11: expecting identifier after option keyword.
>     {
>     ^
>   /etc/dhclient.conf line 18: expecting a statement.
>   }
>   ^
>   /etc/dhclient.conf line 32: semicolon expected.
>
>   ^
>
> ... dhclient.conf ...
>
>    1
>    2  #  FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE's dhclient empties /etc/resolv.conf & default=
 route is
>    3  #  not being assigned.  Remedy this by having sane entries here in =
dhclient.conf.
>    4
>    5  request subnet-mask , routers , domain-name-servers;
>    6  require routers , domain-name-servers;
>    7
>    8  interface "em0"
>    9  {
>   10    default
>   11    {
>   12      fixed-address 192.168.2.100
>   13    , option subnet-mask 0xffffff00
>   14    , option routers 192.168.2.1
>   15    }

(if you're setting all these yourself, why are you bothering to
do dhcp on that interface?)

There should be semicolons after each line in the braces,
and the leading dots before option aren't something I recognize.

It's a pity there isn't a simple (but not blank!) one in
/usr/share/examples, I could
have sworn there used to be.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/