Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:46:14 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Tibor Borzak <cezy@inext.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Tibor Borzak wrote:

> I'm running on BSD wiht my primary DNS and proxy server.
> Time bye time (usualy evry 6-7 days ) I have problem with squid.
> It seems to me is working hard on my drive.. maybe the cahce is full and the process is desperatly try to locate some files.
> What is the solution, how I can optimize my squid to work smothly..

You don't say which versions of FreeBSD or Squid.  At this stage I am only
familiar with Squid 1.1.x; I've yet to play with Squid 2 yet.

Squid 1.1 is heavily dependent on th availability of real RAM.  There is a
"novm" release which is supposed to work better in constrained memory
situations.

On a machine with 32MB of RAM (whose only purpose is to run Squid) I have
found empirically that a cache size of ~700MB with a memory sizing of 8MB
is all that I can support before swapping kicks in.  I haven't tried to
novm version, but intend to move to Squid 2.1 which includes the novm
functionality anyway.

> I wainting for some tips. Also, please explain me how to clear all my cache directories and to start squid again...

IIRC there's a command line switch for clearing the cache, and the daemon
can be restarted quite easily. I suggest that you peruse the
documentation/FAQ/etc at http://squid.nlanr.net/

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia