Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:33:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam Blake Michalak <blake@sba.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dump and restore

Hello all.

I have another dump question (I think I blew up my computer)

Last night I used the dump command to back up / /usr and /var
to an exabyte 8505.

I was starting with a tape at the top.

used the following command
mt rewind
mt comp on
dump -0ua /dev/da0s1a
dump -0ua /dev/da0s1f
dump -0ua /dev/daos1e

When I went to run restore -i to inspect the tape
I did the following...

mt rewind
restore -i
restore> what

it reprorted back that only /var was on the tape

It did not list / or /usr

did dump wind the tape back to the top after each dump and rewrite
from the top of the tape, blowing away the other 2 backups?

In the future do I need to use mt to write some type of "end of
record" so that dump does not hose me in the future?

-Adam