Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:46:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        pstewart@oncomdis.on.ca
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux --> FreeBSD

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 pstewart@oncomdis.on.ca wrote:

>We are in the process as an ISP network provider of switching most if
>not all machines from Linux to FreeBSD.  As the network admin, I am
>now faced with learning FreeBSD.

I think you're in for a pleasant learning experience.  When I started with
my current employer, almost all of my *nix experience was based upon
Linux.  We are a 99% FreeBSD operation (all FreeBSD except a few Linux
workstations).  I enjoy working with FreeBSD...  it has proved very
reliable and secure throughout my time with it.

>One thing I am not totally clear on is the way the passwd.master file
>is updated.  I can run adduser etc. and put a user online but does
>that automatically update the passwd.master.

I'm not *totally* clear on this, since I do not know all the system calls,
etc. which are involved in this processes, but I do know that when you run
adduser, /etc/master.passwd is updated automatically.

>Is there a series of howto & info files available on this stuff such
>as there is with Linux?

Have you checked out the FreeBSD online handbook?  It's available from
http://www.freebsd.org - a lot of great reading.

---
 Mike Hoskins				Kettering University
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.	CS/CE Dual-Major Program
 mike@seidata.com			hosk0094@kettering.edu
 http://www.seidata.com			http://www.kettering.edu