Date:      27 Mar 2002 11:16:05 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/35575: Pw(8) man page makes no mention of /var/log/userlog

Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com> writes:

>  Well, in pw(8) there is a list of 9 files that pw uses to go about its
>  business.  Even temporary files are documented.  One would expect if so
>  many files are listed, but no log file is mentioned, that there is no
>  log file.

Yes, especially since the file is written even if the rw.conf doesn't
exist and/or the user as never had reason to read its manual.

And I just noticed a bunch of files with strange names like
"/etc/pw.DCCtvU~".  Are those coming from "pw" or "vipw", the manuals
of which don't mention "/etc/pw.*~" files, or what?

But I'm sure that the issue of which info goes in which of the two
manuals is a very troublesome one and it's probably not worth worrying
a lot about.  Just say in each manual:

    This manual omits some relevant information which is covered by the
    other_manual() manual to avoid duplication, so both manuals should
    be consulted.

How would you propose listing "logfile"?  Just list the default file,
or somehow mention the configuration-named file or both?

>  Pw.conf(5) on the other hand, lists four files, with no descriptions,
>  and does not mention the log in the files section.

It's debatable whether it should mention anything EXCEPT "logfile" and
its default.

>  Also, at least as of 4.5-RELEASE, the default log file is not mentioned
>  in pw.conf(5) either.  The logfile config is mentioned, but no default
>  value is specified.  The logical conclusion being that if you want pw to
>  log anything, you need to explicitly spell it out, although it has
>  already been logging to the unobviously-named /var/log/userlog all
>  along!

I infer from the "logfile" description, that there IS no default file,
but I find no "userlog" under /etc and yet the file is used anyway.
What does "leave the field blank" mean?  Use "logfile=" or not use
"logfile" at all or both?

(If you change the description, please change "field" too; I guess it's
not totally inappropriate, but it sounds weird for a configuration file
variable=value kind of thing.)

P.S.  I just noticed