Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:07:00 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   linksys vs cisco

(Cross-posted to -mobile and -isp; sorry, I didn't which camp could
help...)

My situation:

I have a laptop that dualboots Win98 and FBSD-4.0.

I have a Linksys PCMCIA card that probes as an ed1.

The card, in both OSs, works just dandy on several diferent networks.

On one particular network, the FreeBSD half won't.

Said network has simple topology: on a switched segment, we have
umpteen Win98 desktops, and one FBSD-4.0 server.  They talk to a
Cisco 1600 router.

The symptom:  the laptop, in FreeBSD mode can talk to all of the
hosts, but not to the router.

Initial traffic analysis shows that I never get the 'tell' ARP
traffic.

Bear in mind: rebooting the laptop into Win98, in the same port on
the switch, with the same IP address, does generate the expected
ARP traffic.  The other FreeBSD server can talk to the router just
fine.

This PCMCIA card comes in several modes (according to the CIS).
I've tried all of them; those that work at all don't alleviate the
symptom.

Before I start researching Cisco-isms, does anyone have any pointers
on additional tests, or configuration issues?  I can provide any
number of details upon request...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (781) 273-4100 x161