Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:48:01 +0100
From:      "c a r s t e n" <carsten@realityblur.com>
To:        "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   why do port installation attempts ignore my cd? (freebsd 4.7)

disclaimer: i am a freebsd newbie. although i have installed and used
linux in the past, and work daily on unix at work, i have little
sysadmin experience.

although in the manual it mentions that ports such as kermit cannot be
included on the cd, it seems that ports which i think should be on the
cd still end up with an attempt to access the net (which i am not yet
hooked up to, having decided to try simpler things first).

more specifically, i have freebsd 4.7, the 4-cd set, and i am trying to
install xmms. i noticed that through the sysinstall, xcdplayer is
offered, yet even for this one, if i go to /usr/ports/audio/xcdplayer
[whatever version] (i am mailing this from win2k, as i am not yet up to
speed in freebsd enough to mail from there), it still looks first on
some ftp sites, and completely ignores my cd. i have mounted my first
cdrom drive, and can see the files through the /cdrom link, yet the
ports installation (go to dir, type "make" or "make install") ignores
the existence of it completely, and i cannot figure out what i have done
wrong.

i kinda fumbled my way through the installation, using the handbook, 2nd
edition, which i purchased, but there is still the possibility that i
installed my ports collection somehow wrong. i tried to rectify this
possibility by reinstalling it, but the result is the same.

can anyone give me a pointer?

thanks in advance,