Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:51:25 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems migrating from 3.1 to 3.2 via CVSup

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 05:01:09AM +0200, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> Is something else compared to migrating within the 3.1 branche. In fact, in
> my case it didn't turn out as advertised at all. For starters the rebuild
> kernel wouldn't load:
>
> Booting [kernerl] /kernel text=0x131d0a
> elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
> can't load 'kernel'

From the handbook:

2.29. I compiled a new kernel and now I get the error message
      "archsw.readin.failed" when booting.

You can boot by specifying the kernel directly at the second stage,
pressing any key when the | shows up before loader is started. More
specifically, you have upgraded the source for your kernel, and
installed a new kernel builtin from them without making world. This
is not supported. Make world.

> is what it complained about. Well, I had seen messages stating that one
> should start with rebuilding the GENERIC kernel in case of changed options
> and take it from there, so this didn't come as a total shock.
>
> However, other things did. Before reboot I did merge, manually, all
> changes in /etc, /dev et al. All except for the sendmail.cf which I
> saved for a rainy day.
>
> But when I finally found a kernel that would boot and connect to the 'Net
> I got my next surprise. It wouldn't load the rc's. I got things like
> "inetd: illegal option --w" and lots of complaints about "set -T" not
> being as legal as the script supposed. Finally there was in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf an addition stating that natd resides in /sbin
> whereas in actuallity it resides in /usr/bin on my system.
>
> So I was forced to "boot" manually. Which is a problem if one has become
> used to having scripts doing the diry work. Still, I managed to bring
> the system up to a more or less operable state. In which process I
> discovered that several other things went awry as well. Most notably
> I do not have all man pages. The 3.2 migration did add the TCP wrappers
> but did not add the accompanying manpages. Bummer.
>
> Anyway, at this point I'm wondering how best to proceed. Clearly my
> system is out of whack, so how to whack it back again? What would be
> the best strategy to bring it back into shape.
>
> What to do and how to do it? If anyone knows, *please* advice.
>
> Roelof
>
> PS did try searching for clues, got lots and lots of references, none
> truly helpful alas. The best I could come up with was:
>
> http://x21.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=502545224&CONTEXT=935290767.1877737511&hitnum=0
>
> which describes it as "not that hard". Well... is, too! Bah.
>
> --
> Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.