Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:07:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        nwestfal@Vorlon.odc.net (Neal Westfall)
Cc:        cmott@scientech.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Src code for @Home NIC Card for Slaming into UNIX - Re: (Form  posted from Mozilla (KMM25773C0KM))

[This has totally diverged from -hackers scope. Headers set so
followups are going to -questions.]

Neal Westfall wrote,
> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>

> > As my address implies, I have @Home service. Specifically, I have
> > Comcast@Home in NJ.
>
> So does this mean that @home does not really enforce their policy
> of "no servers of any kind" that appears in their FAQ?  I have
> heard of some horror stories with them canceling people's accounts
> for running Quake (only temporary sessions, not full-time servers).

To quote from the service agreement (note the caps are how it appears
in the agreement),

"(b)In addition, Customer agrees not to:
.
.
.
viii) RESELL THE SERVICE OR OTHERWISE CHARGE OTHERS TO USE THE SERVICE, IN
 WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, OR ON A BUNDLED OR UNUNBUNDLED
 BASIS. THE SERVICE IS TO BE USED SOLELY IN A PRIVATE RESIDENCE; LIVING QUARTERS
 IN A HOTEL, HOSPITAL, DORM, SORORITY OR FRATERNITY HOUSE, OR BOARDING HOUSE;
 OR THE RESIDENTIAL PORTION OF A PREMISES USED FOR BOTH BUSINESS AND
 RESIDENTIAL PURPOSES. THE SERVICE IS FOR PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE
 ONLY AND CUSTOMER AGREES NOT TO USE THE SERVICE FOR OPERATION AS AN
 INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, A SERVER SITE FOR FTP, TELNET, RLOGIN, E-MAIL
 HOSTING, "WEB HOSTING" OR OTHER SIMILAR APPLICATIONS, FOR ANY BUSINESS
 ENTERPRISE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THOSE IN COMPETITION WITH THE SERVICE,
 OR AS AN END-POINT ON A NON-COMCAST LOCAL AREA NETWORK OR WIDE AREA
 NETWORK; or"

My reading, and I am no lawyer, says to me that you cannot set up a
server "for any business enterprises." Typically, it is written in
precise legallese that is actually quite poor at getting the point
across.