Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 22:07:49 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IRC vs identd vs inetd.conf vs me!

On 2002-05-29 20:00 -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> *** Banned: Install Identd for access (2001/4/18 09.20)
> *** Closing Link: mrmeatie[root@255.255.255.255] (Banned)
> *** Connection closed from irc.lightning.net: Remote end closed connection
> *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.lightning.net
> *** Looking up your hostname...
> *** Checking Ident
> *** Found your hostname
> *** Banned: Install Identd for access (2001/4/18 09.20)

The file /etc/inetd.conf contains a very nice and commented part that
explains how you can enable the 'internal' identd/auth service of
inetd.  You need to enable this in order to connect to the specific
IRC server.  If you have edited away everything in /etc/inetd.conf you
can still read those comments from /usr/src/etc/inetd.conf.  Even if
you don't have the sources installed, you can always view the latest
inetd.conf file through the web, by pointing your browser to:

	http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/src/etc/inetd.conf

Read the comments carefully.  You will easily find out how identd/auth
can be enabled.

> Yes I realize I shouldn't irc (breathe, sleep, or fart) as root, but hey.

No, and there are a few very good reasons why not.  You might end up
receiving by DCC some file that 'accidentally' happens to overwrite
some critical file, like for instance /etc/pwd.db.  And when that
happens you'll hate it.

Cheers,

- Giorgos