Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:41:44 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

On 10/11/01 07:21 PM, Olli Jarvinen sat at the `puter and typed:
> > I'm wondering what people are doing to manage their bookmarks.
>
> I simply maintain an html file on my home box containing my
> bookmarks, the most frequent ones ordered in a table on the top of
> the page and the not-so-frequently used at the bottom (almost no
> need to scroll). I use that file as the starting page in my
> browsers, and I also keep a copy of the file on my home page so I
> can eazily access the same bookmarks anywhere I happen to surf.
>
> Of course the file has to be edited manually which takes a few more
> seconds than clicking "add bookmark" but I've found this as the
> most painless solution. It also complies with the demand of working
> on any browser and any platform.

Yes, this is a pretty direct route.  Of course I think setting up an
LDAP server would do the job just as well.  Maybe better, since you
can (I'm told) also serve out your complete browser config.  And if
you change it from your machine at work, it is there when you start
your browser at home.
Unfortunately, setting this up is anything but trivial.

A couple ports that may help with Olli's idea, though:

Port:   bk2site-1.1.7
Info:   Transforms Netscape bookmarks into a Yahoo-like website

Port:   bkmrkconv-1.10
Info:   Netscape bookmarks.html converter

Personally, I'd like to get the LDAP server set up, but the LDAP
protocol is so general (you can serve damn near anything!) it is
rather confusing to someone who is accustomed to more task specific
protocols like HTTP.

HTH.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Alden's Laws:
  (1)  Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause of pregnancy.
  (2)  Always be backlit.
  (3)  Sit down whenever possible.