Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:26:42 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "[ -dp- ]" <transmogrify@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do those startup scripts go?

[ -dp- ] wrote:

> 	It has been said to _never_ place startup scripts in rc.conf, rc.local,
> etc, due to the fact
> that they are regularly parsed by other programs. Sounds fine, however
> isn't /usr/local/etc/rc.d referenced to
> via rc.conf? And this being the case, we would assume that it will be
> parsed every time rc.conf is called? If rc.conf is called again during
> runtime, I am sure that it is called to with a variable so that the
> entire file is not parsed ? Please correct me if I am wrong, this came
> to me in a dream. I myslef have always referenced them from rc.conf
> since day one, and my machine has yet to blow up.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d is referenced in rc.conf (something like
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d") but none of the scripts therein are
executed by rc.conf. It's only /etc/rc which has that duty at boot time,
after getting the location of the startup directories from rc.conf.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D