Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:35:46 -0400
From:      Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading from 3.x to 4.1

Okay,

This is the first time I've tried upgrading to a new branch on a FreeBSD
box.  I'll be trying it first on our development machine, and if it
works, doing it on our production machine to try to fix our problems
with MySQL hogging 90+% of the CPU for a few minutes at a time.

So here's what I have written down to do so far:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
# build/install kernel
make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
# back to upgrade
cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
make install
# rebuild disks in /dev
cp src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV
#PSUEDOcode: for N in the list of disks
#MAKEDEV N
# for M in the list of slices
#MADEDEV NsMa
reboot # into single user
cd /usr/src
cd gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/install-info
make install
cd ../../../..
ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

I've already used cvsupit to update my sources.

Anything wrong?  Different?  Right?

Thanks,

SeanMike

--
SeanMike Whipkey - Damnit.  Where's my witty repartee?
"Ow! Ow! Ow!  I had to go after mutants, didn't I?  I couldn't just