Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 07:54:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP passive mode - a new default?

> Unless I hear unanimous fierce outcry against it, I'm strongly
> considering making FTP_PASSIVE_MODE obsolete by virtue of being the
> default for all tools/libraries which currently examine it.
> FTP_ACTIVE_MODE will be the new flag for toggling the previous
> behavior.
>
> Given the state of the Internet today, I think this is purely a
> sensible change in defaults.  Comments?

	so the difference between the current and proposed is:

	FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES	vs	FTP_ACTIVE_MODE=NO
	FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=NO	vs	FTP_ACTIVE_MODE=YES

	do any apps check for FTP_ACTIVE_MODE?
	are we going to apply patches to each app to check for this
	and maintains those patches over the course of time?

	seems to be a change without commensurate benefit.....it will
	confuse some, suprise others and doesnt seem to offer
	substantial benefit.

	recommend against the change.

jmb