Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 16:23:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Missing files (was: please help!!! big problem!!!)

On Sun,  1 March 1998 at  0:24:52 +0200, Scott Myron wrote:
> ok, now.. I don't know what happened on my system.. but it's not good...
> somehow "cat" "cp" and "chmod" god deleted... now lucky I got the linux
> versions of them. but they still aren't working right. I need the
> FreeBSD "cp" "chmod" and "cat" will you please send them too me. thanks
> alot!

They're on the live file system CD-ROM in the same place as you would
expect to find them on the system (i.e. /bin).  Alternatively you can
extract them from the 'bin' distribution.  Normally you'd do:

  # cd /
  # cat /var/dist/distdir/bin.[ac]* | tar xzvf - bin/cat bin/cp bin/chmod

This is rather difficult if you don't have cat, of course.  You'll be
pleased to know that all three files are in bin.aa, so you can write

  # cd /
  # tar xzvf cat /var/dist/distdir/bin.aa bin/cat bin/cp bin/chmod

Greg