Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:45:10 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Softupdates

Hi people,

now after this discussion about softupdates let's try summing up things a
little. We're talking about a productive boxes where risk of losing
data should be minimal (but of cause the speed is also important). There
seems to be the following main conclusions:

1. Softupdates by themselves are not too risky;
2. Write caching should be better turned off in this case;
3. For the SCSI drives it can be considered enabling write caching.

But in any case all these trouble cannot be suffered for nothing, we're
hoping to get improvements in speed or anything in the end. So the
question is has any of you any practical experience as for the effect
which was gained? Are the softupdates really that usefull in real life,
and what we lose in speed if we turn off write caching as was suggested?

So is the speed/reliability ratio worth trying it?

Alexander Varshavchick, Metrocom Joint Stock Company
Phone: (812)118-3322, 118-3115(fax)