Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:20:11 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>, current@freebsd.org, raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com, drosih@rpi.edu, ak03@gte.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/fs/specfs spec_vnops.c

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:49:06AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 08:48:01AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > In message <3DC6245C.8D31A6A7@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Barton writes:
> > >Kirk,
> > >
> > >I'm adding a bunch of people to the list who were involved in a thread
> > >on -current on this topic. I also tried this change and noticed that
> > >things did seem a tiny bit snappier (although my system is slow enough
> > >that it could have just been my imagination).=20
> >=20
> > All things considered, I think we should just pla to leave it this way
> > for 5.0-R.  Until now people were used to wait for fsck to finish, at
> > least now they can do something in while it runs.
>=20
> Well... like I indicated earlier in the thread on -CURRENT, things
> were definitely *slow*. I also said I would try to provide benchmarks
> if people told me how to do that (and what to time). In any case,
> as a rough measurement, starting X on -CURRENT took about 2-3 seconds
> vs. about half a second on -STABLE on the exact same hardware.
>=20
> It was even measurable on a simple 'ls' in a large directory.
>=20
> I think if this is left in as is, people 'new' to FreeBSD will think
> it's dead slow, and move on elsewhere.

Whoops, monday morning brain fart.

Ignore my previous mail, I didn't get the fact that the switch defaulted to
*off*.  Am I reading it correctly now, that the ioslow sleep is therefore a=
lso
not enabled by default?

--Stijn

--=20
The most reliable proof that there are extraterrestrial intelligent
lifeforms out there is that nobody actually tries to get in contact
with us.
		-- Dirk Mueller

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC--