Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:57:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump and ssh

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

-snip-

> This command will restore files stored in 'dump_file.dmp,' which is
> located on remotehost, onto the machine the command is executed on.
>
> I had a hard time parsing your description, but I think this is what
> you would want. remotehost would be the machine with the diskspace for
> the backups and the command is run on the machine needing to recover
> the files. But...

Okay, so if I ran this command from the cobalt, it would restore from the
RAID machine to the cobalt.

-ka-snip-

> You are mixing operating systems. How 'dump' and 'restore' work is OS
> dependent, and since the machine doing the dumps and restores is
> actually the Cobalt, I am not sure if freebsd-questions is the best
> place to ask.

Dump and restore are not even a part of linux, per se.  I had to install
them and the ext2fs libs to get them to run.  The cobalts also don't
include ssh (I installed it), and can't mount a FreeBSD nfs choice.
They've also suffered from serious security problems of late.

Anyway, the only backup options they offer for a *full* backup is arkeia
(which costs), or legato (ditto).  Dump and restore are free, and _DO_
work on the platform.  I would suppose tar would also be a valid option,
but dump is flexible, and workable, so I used it. (now...if only I could
get installation of dump, ext2fs, and ssh down to a single rpm...)

> > ssh -luser remotehost "cat dump_file.dmp | restore -[irRtx]f -"
> >
> > actually be the command to do the restore on the backup server, and then
> > the original reply is right? (note the location of quotes)?

> That command would read the file 'dump_file.dmp' on remotehost and
> then restore the files _on remotehost._

That's what I figured.  Okay, so then I'm cool, thanks.

--

"Man, this is such a trip"

-Dan Mahoney, October 25, 1997