Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:50:03 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5?

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 08:49:04AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Uhm, sorry Warner, but that is not true.  A brute force attack on
> MD5 is many orders of magnitude slower than on DES.

At USENIX, Niels Provos and David Mazieres presented a paper entitled
"A Future-Adaptable Password Scheme", in which they described two
algorithms with adaptable cost, including a block cipher _eksblowfish_
and _bcrypt_, a related hash function.  In the paper, they have a
comparison graph of traditional/bitsliced DES, MD5, and bcrypt (Figure
5).  In summary, the graph shows bcrypt to be over 10^1 times slower
than MD5 and many orders of magnitude slower than DES.  MD5 is itself
many orders of magnitude slower than DES, but has a fixed cost.

FTR, bcrypt supports a variable number of rounds so that it will be
adaptable and secure as hardware speeds increase.  I left the
presentation very impressed with the work.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter              If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com