Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:07:16 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting A Kernel Dump - SOLVED!

On 4/19/2006 7:22 PM Kevin Kinsey said the following:

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I have a 6.0 system running on a P3 550 that
>> is rebooting every now and then due to a
>> trap 12 error.  I've followed the steps at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
>>
>> for getting a crash dump but I'm not getting dumps. Here's the
>> relevant line from rc.conf:
>>
>> dumpdev="/dev/da1s1b"
>>
>> And it seems to be OK as dumpon has no problem
>> when I set this manually:
>>
>> blacksheep# dumpon -v /dev/da1s1b
>> kernel dumps on /dev/da1s1b
>>
>> My swap partition is 750 MB and the total system
>> memory is 384 MB.  Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Drew
>

> Unfortunately, no.  Read this today, though:
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>
> Since I've not read the handbook section you mention, I can't
> say if it's duplicate info or not.  But this was pretty good stuff,
> as Michael's stuff always seems to be....

Thanks for your reply.  In going over everything again, I finally
figured out I had made a dumb mistake.  I have a small root partition
(500 MB) and normally symlink /var to /var/usr.  However in this case, I
hadn't made that symlink after restoring from a disk crash about a month
ago.  So there was not enough room in /var/crash to create the dump.
'savecore' was keeping me from shooting myself in the foot.  :)

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse