Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      yossman <yossman@nonline.net>
To:        tcollier@unleaded.netfueldesign.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI Modem (nonwinmodem)

i'm having the EXACT same problem as you, PCI modem, hardware-based,
non-winmodem, on IRQ12.  i tried doing something simple, by redirecting
sio1 in the kernel at the PCI card's direction, but it just doesn't see it
period.  one thing i've been confused about -- if the device isn't really
on the ISA bus at all, should you still put the 'at isa?' in the device
line?

continuing with the modem problem, FreeBSD3.4-R doesn't see anything when
the PCI modem is installed, even with the GENERIC kernel.  FreeBSD4.0-R
GENERIC sees the card almost as exactly what you described.  mine is a
USR/3COM 'sportster' if they're even still called that now:

pci0: <unknown card> (vender=0x12b9, dev=0x1008) at 20.0 irq 12

by the way, after switching the card from the 4.0-R system, into a 3.4-R
system, two physically different machines, and then back again, the 4.0-R
system seems to 'lose' the 'simple COMM. controller' IRQ -- so it doesn't
even know what IRQ the card is at now when i boot it.  more strangeness
with PCI and BIOS.  as it stands now under the original machine i tried it
with, with FreeBSD4.0-R GENERIC, the card is reported as such:

pci0: <unknown card> (vender=0x12b9, dev=0x1008) at 20.0

for the record, should i be enabling PnP BIOS=YES in the machine's BIOS
now?  is FreeBSD 'plug and play compliant' now as far as we all know, or
should i stick to nonPnP OS in the BIOS and manually configure my slots
for IRQs?

i've been doing a lot of work lately with PCI devices as opposed to ISA
devices, and though i'm not really familiar with how the PCI
specification works as a whole, i've noted that if you take PCI cards out
of the machine they were working in and re-arrange them, the system gets
pretty confused and doesn't re-allocate IRQs properly to the cards.. same
if you take the cards out, put them into a different system, boot, then
take them back out and put them into the original system, even if you put
them back into the same slots.  is this a hardware thing or a software
thing?  is it both? ;)

thanks in advance for any additional information.  i'm still looking
through the FreeBSD search engine and altavista.com for clues..

yossman