Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:21:27 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeing a DVD player from a laptop

David Wolfskill wrote:

> And my spouse, who has a slightly updated version of my laptop, but
> which is only running "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" was able to
> play a DVD on her machine, but when she tried to direct the output to
> TV, everthing displayed just fine, except for the window where the image
> from the DVD was:  it remained black.

The DVD software is writing directly to video memory (kinda) you can
only
have it appear in one place.  In Windows this is your primary monitor
(it's
adjustable in the control panel, although the ATI control panel is
slightly
confusing on this).  If she switches the primay to the TV-out, then the
image should appear on the TV (although the box on the LCD will be
black).

> >One thing you might want to try is just plugging in your TV before
> >booting your computer.  On my G200 this causes the card to
> >automatically initalize the TV-out at startup.
>
> I found that I could connect the TV while the machine was up, but I
> needed to use a sequence of keyboard chords, such as Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 a
> few times.

If that works, great!  It'll mean less rebooting for you.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer