Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:19:03 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD AMD list <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: first time with a 64bit CPU ... kernel config ...

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> First, the server is an HP DL360 G4P ... comes standard with 2G of RAM,
>> 3.4G Xeon processor, HP Smart Array 600 RAID controller and slots for 4 SAS
>> drives ... all in a 1U box.  I picked up 4x72G SAS drives, and an
>> additional 4G of RAM (holds 6 sticks) ... oh, and it comes with redundant
>> power supplies ...
>
> nice... I didn't know FreeBSD supported any SAS controllers.  I know that the
> on in the Sun X4100 is not found by 6.0-REL boot CD

The ciss(4) driver is what the controller gets recognized as ... I believe
that the RAID controller comes in both a SAS and SCSI model, so the
controller itself handles the SAS aspect of it, and reports to the OS that
its 'SCSI' ...

Just theory ... I just know it works :)  Even reports messages to
/var/log/messages and the console (ie. when it finished building the
parity stuff, I got a message letting me know that initialization was
complete) ...

The thing I love about this box is that its an *even* # of drives, not odd
... so I can actually do RAID1+0 instead of either RAID5 or RAID1+hot
spare ...

I have to say ... I've used Intel boxes that I built myself, and I've used
IBM x-series ... and to date, I don't think I've worked with a better box,
especially where my last concern is the hardware ... at least so far, my
experience with this HP has been much better then my last two Intel boxes

----