Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:43:32 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fixer Corp <service@fixer.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: El Torito

On Friday, 29 November 2002 at 10:02:45 -0700, Fixer Corp wrote:
> I just pruchased FreeBSD 4.7.  It requires a CDROM with El Torito
> support.  My computer was purchased in 1998 and the owners manual does
> not say anything about El Torito.  When I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.0, it
> did not support my Sony CDROM, so I bought an ATAPI CDROM.
>
> There is no way I'm purchasing a new computer so I can run version
> 4.7.

There are no differences in the requirements for 4.0 and 4.7.  El
Torito is not a CD-ROM option, it's the standard for booting from
CD-ROM.  If your computer can boot from CD-ROM, then the BIOS has El
Torito support.  If you can't boot from CD-ROM, buying a new CD-ROM
drive won't help.  Instead, as others have suggested, make some boot
floppies.  Either way, the installation is exactly the same as it was
for 4.0.

Greg