Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:48:16 +0100
From:      Tilman Linneweh <arved@freebsd.org>
To:        axel.burwitz@arcor.de
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Tilman Linneweh <arved@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: kaffeine-0.8.7

Hi Axel,

On Nov 26, 2008, at 18:48, Axel Burwitz wrote:
>  - DVB interface in FreeBSD / Kaffeine -
>
> with help from the maintainer of CX88 I finally made it to get a
> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1300 with CX88-driver support up and running in
> FreeBSD (written a HowTo in www.bsdforen.de).
> Can scan channel and capture DVB-T with cx88 now.
>
> Now I tried to use Kaffeine, as recommended for DVB, as a viewer,
> but it doesn't work at all. Kaffeine doesn't find the device.

The only DVB-devices that were reported to work with kaffeine on
FreeBSD, where those using the driver from http://raaf.atspace.org/
dvbusb/

> My postings in the kaffeine-user ML showed that it looks like there
> is a completely different interfacing in FreeBSD than in Linux.
> (can that be true?)

AFAIK there is no general interface for DVB Hardware in FreeBSD,
every driver can use his own (actually there are not many drivers :-
(), Looks like cx88 uses a different one, than the dvbusb driver.

> During analysis I was asked about the expected dvb device
>
> /dev/dvb/adpater0/frontend0
>
> but at least in my FreeBSD installation there are only three devices
> /dev/cx88mpeg0
> /dev/cx88video
> /dev/cx88audio.

Maybe Christophe is right, and you are missing the dvb part of the
driver.

> The guy in the kaffeine-user ML was wondering even how I was able
> to compile Kaffeine in FreeBSD... But: that was no problem at all.

Because the kaffeine port uses the linux header files.

Since i don't have this hardware, i can only say "Use the source
Luke". Compare the Linux driver with the FreeBSD cx88 and dvbusb
driver, and try to create similar devices.

Have fun!
arved