Date:      Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:38:54 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: question  on cut/paste in Gnome.

--pAwQNkOnpTn9IO2O

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:31:56PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	I've got Gnome set up as my default GUI on my new DNS=20
> 	server.  (Seems much improved over the older RH8 version.)
> 	But how do I paste things?  Clicking with first/third mouse
> 	buttons designate the string or area I want; it should be in
> 	the buffer.  But the middle button (oR first&third) buttons
> 	don't paste. =20
>=20
> 	The right mouse button pops up small rectange with a "Paste"
> 	area, but this doesn't work.

If it doesn't work the X-windows way, then it probably works more like
the way it does in windows: use the left mouse button to select the
text, then right click to get a popup menu which should have 'cut' and
'copy' entries.  Select whicher you require.  Then left click to move
the cursor to the insert point, right click to bring up the menu and
select paste.

You may also find that you can select the area, then left mouse down
on the selection and drag to where you want it to go.  (Which is a
feature of OpenOffice that I personally hate because I want left mouse
to *always* select text.)

It's possible that you may have difficulty cut'n'pasting between
applications that use different paradigms -- there may be more than
one cut-buffer under the hood as well.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20