Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:18:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New cdboot ISO available

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> A new experimental CD bootstrap was recently added to -stable for the i386
> architecture that allows the full contents of the CD to be used when booting.

I used the RC1 cdboot to install FreeBSD in vmware on my ASUS Thunder K7
running win2k.  It worked fine although it was very slow to boot (even
after recompiling the kernel, it's slow).  Slow is 20 or 30 minutes....I
have no clue about why this is the case, but I assume once installed, it
doesn't matter how it got there.

I gave the virtual machine 256MB RAM and highest possible priority and it
runs nicely once it succeeds in booting--quick kernel compile, and it
built the locate database for 700MB of stuff in about 20 seconds.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC