Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:22:43 +0200
From:      Giuliano Gavazzi <dev+lists@humph.com>
To:        zgabe <zgabe84@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 IPv6 multihoming problem

Sorry Julian, I wrongly sent my reply to you!

On T 31 Mar, 2009, at 22:38 , Julian Elischer wrote:

> zgabe wrote:
>> Hi All, I am using laptop, FreeBSD 7.1 connecting to two ISPs (wlan
>> and ppp) and I
>> have IPv6 addresses. 'netstat -rn' says there is only one default
>> gateway
>> (for example wlan's default gateway). My problem is the following:
>> If I ping the ppp tunnel from an other computer, my laptop recieves
>> the
>> ICMP6 echo request over the ppp tunnel, but it answers over the wlan
>> interface. I read some similar posts (only ipv4) about forwarding
>> with IPFW,
>> but I was unable to solve my problem until now.

[...]
> the theory with multihoming is that unless you are the holder of a
> class-C (/24) you basically have to do it using NAT.
> You have to make some subset of  your traffic use one NAT while the
> remainder uses another (or is untranslated).
> Unfortunately we don't have NAT for IPV6. I don't know how that
> gets solved..

I am not sure I understand how NAT would solve the routing problem.
Doesn't a packet have the next hop set according to the destination,
that is anything not for a locally attached network will go to the
default router?
Zgabe is correct in trying to use fwd, I use that to route packets
according to the source. I use this method, in ipv4, although perhaps
too intrusively as I also fwd packets that should go to the default
route (which could be instead just accept'ed), but this is another
topic.

For zgabe problem, aren't packets coming from the pppaddress going
through the ppp interface. So why don't you try to select them by the
interface (and the direction they go through it, as in out xmit ppp)
rather than by protocol? Not sure how will you enter an ipv6 address
as a forwarding one, it does not work on my setup (macos).