Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:55:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu (-Vince-)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

-Vince- stands accused of saying:
>> Depends on what you're trying to do with it, and what sort of FreeBSD
>> box you're talking about.  A VLB '486DX2/66 will just about keep even
>> with a Sparc 2 otherwise similarly configured; I don't have any data
>> on faster Sun systems as just about everything around here is an Alpha.
>
> 	I meant like use it as a server for a organization on a FreeBSD P5-90
> box, what would it be equivelent to in performance?  Is the Alpha that
> much better than a Pentium?

Depends on what you're doing, as far as I can tell.  I'll have a clearer
picture when the new box (P100) comes in, and I can get some comparative
numbers against the low-end (-66) alphas around here.

> 	I thought the working size will always exceed the physical memory
> since you can only expand to a certain number for physical ram while with
> hd's, you can just add new ones...

Huh?  The "certain number" for physical ram essentially limits your
maximum working set size; obviously you have a limit related to
processor speed as well. (after all, you can only access so much memory in a
given period).  Once your working set (the pages currently in use by active
processes) exceeds the available physical memory, you start thrashing, as
you have to swapout/swapin on a regular basis.