Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:33:20 -0500
From:      "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getty on /dev/ttypN

--MSd2ShuMixI0uVaZ

After upgrading from 5.5 to 6.3 I'm noticing this a lot on the main console
and in my logs.=20

Dec 25 09:33:28 kanga init: can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp0: No
such file or directory
Dec 25 09:33:38 kanga init: can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp1: No
such file or directory

etc...

msoulier@kanga:/etc$ ls -l /dev/ttyp0
crw--w----  1 msoulier  tty    0,  94 Feb 14 15:29 /dev/ttyp0

it's there...

/etc/ttys only mentions them as

msoulier@kanga:/etc$ grep ttyp0 /etc/ttys=20
ttyp0   none                    network on

The only getty configured terminals are

msoulier@kanga:/etc$ grep getty /etc/ttys=20
# getty The program to start running on the terminal.  Typically a
#       getty program, as the name implies.  Other common entries
#       include none, when no getty is needed, and xdm, to start the
# status Must be on or off.  If on, init will run the getty program on
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

I think I ran mergemaster correctly on the upgrade. I'm not sure why init is
trying to talk to these ports, which are obviously pseudo terminals...

Advice appreciated.

Mike
--=20
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>