Date:      13 Jun 2002 19:53:45 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE

Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk> writes:

| I think the patience comment was because in the last two days, there have
| been at least 3 threads on this list asking when 4.6 will be out.

That's understandable; it's days after the posted announcement.  The website
still refers to the 4.6 release taking place on the 8th at

        http://www.freebsd.org/releases/

and the 10th at

        http://www.freebsd.org/releng/
and
        http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/schedule.html

Not everyone reads -announce and -questions, y'know.

What's more, when people see dates like that, and they're looking at a new
install, they don't want to install the -RCx when the -RELEASE might come out
very shortly indeed.  In fact, I have a blank box staring at me right now from
across the room waiting for a FreeBSD install, and I didn't feel like doing it
today because hey, 4.6-RELEASE is supposed to be out RSN.  I *could* run 4.5,
but I don't want to install it only to find out that 4.6 came out the next day.

At the very least, it might be worthwhile for someone to update the freebsd.org
website to reflect the schedule slip, and give a new estimated date.  We've had
three estimated dates pass so far, is that correct?

| The release team do a good job under loads of pressure.  They would have more
| time to do their work if they weren't responding to messages asking 'When
| will it be done?'.  If you want it done faster, chip in.

Well, if you think a barrage of "can I help?" queries are going to speed up the
process. . . .  :)

I'd just as soon leave 'em alone until 4.6 is out, send them gift certificates
for, say, caffienated ice cream as thanks, and *then* bug 'em with "can I
help?" messages.

| Oh, and until you're paying money for a service or product, you're not a
| customer.  We are currently recipients of a benevolent foundation.

Welllllll, technically, they *are* customers.  But no, there's no trade
transactions taking place, usually.

The bottom line is that people can be quite patient if they're told what to
expect.  When they're kept in the dark, they get titchy.