Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 13:48:45 -0500
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't getopt().

I probably shouldn't keep posting my C questions to this list but I'm
stumped on this command and don't know anybody who can help.

The program below should print the first command line argument but when
I try to compile it I get the errors 'argc' undeclared and 'argv'
undeclared. I've been through the getopt man page dozens of times but I
can't see where it shows how to declare argc and argv. So if they're not
defined in stdlib.h I don't know where they come from.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

main()
{
   extern char *optarg;
   extern int optind;
   int ch = 0;

   ch = getopt(argc, argv, "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
   printf ("%c\n",ch);
}

At this point I'm so frustrated with this I would be happy with a way of
just getting the command line arguments as a single string and decode
them myself.

Thanks.

--
Geoffrey Robinson