Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging several branches with ports tree

> Perhaps ports-mgmt/portshaker is a possible tool.
I like portshaker and I have tried it. For gnome3 / marcuscom it resulted in some strange ports errors so I was forced to revert back to the marcusmerge script.

Perhaps I could have a process where the scripts are chained.
1. portshaker -UM for ports tree only
2. marcusmerge for gnome3
3. rsync linux-c6 & my-pc
I'll look into this idea...

> With the line in make.conf there is no need to patch bsd.port.mk for
> own $CAT VALID_CATEGORIES+=foo bar
>
> Use .sinclude instead .include for own Makefile extensions, then
> there is no issue in case the file is missing.

I'm not sure I understand this - .sinclude should be specified where / in which file?

Regards.

--
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS
 h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject
 :from:to:cc:content-type;
 bh=mdVFuIfRZV9/5gb8Rxn1zmNY3Lyb6JgZHUA3nC5Hods=;
 b=E15Q+6Ev1cp78uS3D+cqs3YR2T7OwAn3TdHMtTx38slw0KOzDIgLoZct7ZIWkbQKYJ
 l4080Xv/xxhWgXzsPM3d00pzkXICX4rqucUgn/F7fLfDhH6aB4embXYwAZv8xjXbGced
 2tYrzgm3HzvnSSuc9m463szBdRO37Diz9gomUcmjL4ROZrUJNbXBD0pGhq1CeSgWsDOz
 0Xkh1OYTlbRdOL8SE9RL8Zzp9W+qF+Ggh57u72nknrV1jXTd9QvH6Bv6igCy+mCxZl53
 A10voiXV8O2xNrZhnEbxCZiCyBseaXPcZISuge++1py6fVB8k2n+vQe1t0uZIDKNrxTm
 faMQ==
Sender: kob6558@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:16:46 -0700
Subject: Re: www/firefox vs. vulnerabilities vs. libevent --> libevent2
From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To: David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc: FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:45 AM, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> CVE: CVE-2014-1555
> CVE: CVE-2014-1552
> CVE: CVE-2014-1551
> CVE: CVE-2014-1550
> CVE: CVE-2014-1549
> CVE: CVE-2014-1548
> CVE: CVE-2014-1547
> CVE: CVE-2014-1544
> WWW:
> http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/978b0f76-122d-11e4-afe3-bc5ff4fb5e7b.html
>
> 1 problem(s) in the installed packages found.
> => Please update your ports tree and try again.
> => Note: Vulnerable ports are marked as such even if there is no update
> available.
> => If you wish to ignore this vulnerability rebuild with 'make
> DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'
> *** [check-vulnerable] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /common/ports/www/firefox.
> *** [build] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /common/ports/www/firefox.
>
> ===>>> make build failed for www/firefox
> ===>>> Aborting update
>

> As a reality check, I did take a quick look at
> <http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/svn-ports-head.html>; to see
> if, perchance, there were commits to www/firefox to address those
> reported vulnerabilities since r362876, but the most recent commit
> I see there now is r362887 -- and none of the commits since r362876
> is about/for www/firefox (or anything related, AFAICT).
>
> So I'm left wondering how this is actually useful: I'm left with a copy
> of firefox installed (more or less) that has known vulnerabilities and
> is broken (since it's still linked against a library that no longer
> exists).  At least I was able to use a copy of firefox on a machine I
> haven't started to upgrade yet (so I could refer to the cited Web
> page(s)).
>
> Since I'm disinclined to globally disable all vulnerability checking,
> I'm proceeding with updates to the ports that portmaster hadn't yet got
> to first, before (temporarily) disabling the checks so I can have a
> working graphical Web browser with which I'm familiar again.
>
> Which reminds me: the cited directive re. the libevent change (in
> UPDATING): "pkg delete libevent" also deleted sysutils/tmux, so the
> subsequent "portmaster -ad" had no clue that tmux was supposed to be
> rebuilt.  I was able to re-install it manually, but I mention this in
> case it helps someone else.
>
> (Ugh.  It appears that the "portmaster -aF" that I ran earlier this
> morning didn't actually fetch the firefox-30.0.source.tar.bz2... wait
> up; that should have been there already.  Making me wait while that's
> re-fetched is ... not good: I'm trying to get this laptop updated before
> I go in to work this morning....  OK; I found a local copy on another
> machine.)
>
> Peace,
> david
> --
> David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
> Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

David,

Since the old firefox was vulnerable and we don't have a port of Firefox 31
yet, the best choice seems to be to install the new, libevent2 version (_2)
with DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES defined so that it will still install.
Obviously, you just set DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES for the firefox build and
then unset it. Not ideal, but the only available work around.

Also, the solver in pkg will re-install all dependent ports when a port is
deleted. (It does ask first.) I just note the "extra" deleted ports and
re-install. But I do wish we had had a hears-up on this as I lost gnuplot
yesterday for quite a while which rather seriously impacted my web pages as
new graphs were not being generated. After that first system, I was
smarter, but there really needs to be a BIG warning in UPDATING and when
pkg delete deletes dependent packages. There ought to be a better way, but
-o does not help as libevent2 already existed. This one is VERY user
unfriendly!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com