Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:37:07 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <memmerto@uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Quantum Hard Drive

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out whether one of my Quantum drives is bad or
> if it's a BIOS problem.
> The machine is a NEC Ready 9012 (P90).
> The BIOS detects the drive and enters CHS information properly.

{remainder of post snipped...}

If your BIOS supports setting the IDE mode, and is currently at "Auto"
(whcih means it asks the drive and tries to run the drive at the nominated
mode), try setting the mode to PIO mode 0 (slowest).  The see whether
either your Win 95/98 or FreeBSD installs are more promising.

I have seen instances where either a drive or particular MB chipset/BIOS
rev seemed incapable of working at the stated modes.

My guess is that NT's IDE drivers are exceedingly conservative, and
probably already run the drive at PIO mode 0, while Windows 95/98 use the
BIOS info and try to drive the chipset/drive at the probed rate (and
fail!).  Recent revs of FreeBSD may also be able to use high rates based
on probed info, in which case you may need to do some mailing list
searches to identify any way to disable the feature (if it in fact
exists).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia