Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:40:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Cc:        thomasb@trash.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating from Linux to FreeBSD...

> Ouch. No way to get FreeBSD to recognize the DES passwords and
> change them to MD5 as the user logs in first after the migration?
> Or just use DES ones?

You should have a look at the Handbook

     http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/crypt.html

As a general technique for resolving such questions:

No, I am not a smart ass (I only vaguely remembered that there was
at least MD5 and DES - and that there is even something advanced like
PAM lurking), I just typed 'md5 password' in the search box on

    http://www.freebsd.org

and there it came up as first hit.
Another excellent resource is the CVS web interface, with a bit
of knowledge where to look, one for example can detect driver
source and answer the one or other question from that.

Regards,
Marc