Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:44:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN, an off topic question

Willem Jan  Withagen writes:
> I'm looking for software which will let me create a VPN over open
> infrastructure, eg. cable, post, isdn, ...
>
> What I'd like is an extra layer on the TCP/IP stack for win'95 systems,
> which would give the client a second IP-number for access to the inarts of
> the company LAN. This would be through an encrypted tunnel over the already
> build public IP connection.
>
> Termination would be on a VPN-server on the company LAN, or at the firewall.
> I could be a NT-system, but prefably a FreeBSD (Linux) box.

This is what PPTP does.. it's like PPP where you replace the word
"modem" with the word "Internet". M$oft sells client and server software
(the clients are free -- download "microsoft dial-up networking 1.3").

I don't know of any freely available FreeBSD software for doing PPTP.
Using an NT server is proabaly the quickest way to get it working.

-Archie