Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:39:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dsl speed test

Is there any way I can do an accurate test to determine the speed of my
dsl line using FreeBSD?

I am currently leasing a dsl line and feed my home network through a
FreeBSD box (3.4S) running natd and ipfw.  That all works fine, but I am
wondering if I am getting the full speed possible out of the dsl or if I
am actually getting the line speed I am "told" that I am getting.

When I first got the dsl I was getting 100k+ downloads, and that seems to
have dropped to 60k+ and hardly going over 70k.  If I can determine if I
am getting a slower rate than the 768k that I am told I have, I would like
to offer proof on my end.

My current ideas are to use lwp-download to see how fast a large file be
pulled down.  I am not sure how accurate that will be though.  I would
like to have a more raw number, not based on the speed of a web server on
the other end.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?