Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:52:22 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: Native JDK with libthr/libkse

hi,

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:48:15AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> I was more interested in the statement that "jdk is only guaranteed
> to work with libc_r" that one of the Java developers posted.  I

It only means that I can guarantee correctly working product in
environment there're it was tested (i.e. at user threads only level).

Don't get me wrong -- I'll be happy to try libthr and libpthread as
soon as I'll be able to do it.  Local problems here prevents me
from complete cvsup right now :-(  Also I have to make complete
pass of TCK tests (at least VM tests -- more than 8000 testsets)
before saying anything.

> took it to mean that the implementation of our jdk is geared
> towards libc_r (perhaps knowing internal stuff about how libc_r
> works).  I don't want anything like that to stop us, and we
> can add some common APIs to the threads libraries if needed
> to support it.

I have spent a lot of time to get rid libc_r internals usage
in jdk14.  pthread_attr_get_np() was a conclusion and allowed me
to switch from API to ABI compat mode.