Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:43:51 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To: "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 9:17 AM

> To all who replied to my original post,
>
> Thank you very much for your input and insight.
> I have read every post in this thread and have come to
> the following conclusions.

Let me commend you for taking the time to write a follow-up post
summarizing what you have learned.  These types of posts are a great
resource to have in the archives.

> The ntpdate function is the brute force method of syncing
> the pc hardware clock with any ntp internet server one
> wants to use for this purpose.
> For a home dialup ISP gateway box this is the recommended
> method of keeping the gateway FBSD box's clock accurate
> every time the box is booted.
>
> The small servers defined in inetd.conf include the
> timed & timedc. This set of services use a different method
> of pc clock syncing than ntpd. The main point is it does not
> create a ntp protocol time server that can be accessed by IP
address.

> The final option is ntpd. This function does get the time from a
> internet ntp server to update the requesting FBSD box, and keeps
> the clock accurate by making very small adjustment over long periods
> of time. It can be configurated to broadcast time packets to all
machines
> on the private net it is connected to.
> It is not a ntp time server with a unique IP address.

I don't think this is correct.  ntpd *IS* a time server and the IP
address is the address of the machine you run it on.  On my private
network, I have a FBSD box on 192.168.20.4.  I have a Win2K machine on
192.168.20.3.  I have a ntp client program called "Automochron" that
runs on the Win2K machine.  In the client, I have the time server
listed as 192.168.20.4 (the FBSD machine).  The Win2K client gets time
updates.

I don't remember doing anything special with ntpd to set this up.  I
just used the standard xntpd that is bundled with the basic OS, put
time server entries in ntp.conf, and ran the daemon.

Please, anyone correct me if I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Drew

> Only FBSD boxes on the private net with ntpd clients can hear
> the broadcasted time packets and adjust there clocks. The only way
for a
> Winbox to use this function is to have Samba running on the FBSD to
fake
> out the Winboxs into thinking it's a NT or Win2k server. This sure
is
> overkill just to get synced time across the private net.  One
responder
> did point out that there is a Winbox program which will utilize the
ntpd
> info to set the Winbox clock. This may be a option if I ever have to
upgrade
> all the Winboxs to a common release of Windows, other than that it
would
> be to hard to roll out a new clock program to all the Winbox users.
> The main point again is it does not create a ntp protocol time
server that
> can be accessed by IP address from other Winboxs on the private net.
>
> So I would say this pretty well covers the facilities that are
delivered as
> part of the base install. None of then are compatible with what is
currently
> running on the Winboxs in my private LAN behind the FBSD
gateway/firewall.

> It is now time to review the ports for a ntp time server.
> Does anybody out there know of or use a FBSD time server port?
>
> Thanks again for all your combined help in this matter.
>
> Joe

Barbish