Date:        Sat, 06 Nov 1999 11:35:01 +0300
From:      Prikhod'ko <prikhodko@glasnet.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Troubles with XServer Setup

Dear developers of FreeBSD.

Installing FreeBSD on 486-computer
(VLB/ISA motherboard, 32M RAM, IDE HDD)
with "Diamond Viper VLB" card I encountered
strange difficulties configuring XServer.

First, while making installation I trie
to run the graphical utility XF86Setup
and the system die, I see only a white
rectangle on the screen. By the way,
the same happens when I try to use
VGA16-server.

Further, I launch the text utility xf86config
which asks, after usual questions, the type
of the video card and propose to use
the P9000-server, and this is quite reasonable.
But when I try to start XServer I see black screen
and, as it seems to me, the system does not try
to launch KDE. Though, in contrast to the situation
described above, server respond properly
to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Generally, is it possible to run SVGA-server
(as I do on a Pentium machine with Viper-550)
with such a video card using some "generic" device?

Note that earlier I had no troubles with my Viper
running Windows, though FreeBSD is
much more appropriate to this machine.

I would be much obliged if you help me
understand how to overcome this problem.

Sincerely, Alexander Prikhod'ko.