Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:55:59 +0000 (UTC)
From:      rondzierwa@comcast.net
To:        "J. Hellenthal" <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, hrs@freebsd.org, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: natd starting after firewall rules are loaded

All,

thank you for your help. I went back to my old system and found
that I did, in fact, build the kernel with several firewall options,
including nat and divert. I added the same flags to my new 8.2
kernel and built it, and, since divert is already there, the firewall
rules load the first time through.

One other thing that's missing since 4.9 (and this probably needs
to go to some other list) is the kernel LINT file. Unless you already
know about these firewall options there is no where you can go
to find them. The documentation makes some mention about them,
but not all of them. I was lucky because I still had my old system lying
around that I could look at, but I found these options in the first
place because I looked at the LINT file and added any options
that I thought were pertinent.

man, i sound like my dad... back when I was your age, we had a
kernel LINT file, you kids these days don't know anything... :-))

thanks again for your help,
ron.