Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:17:08 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where's the fm for sendmail and pop3?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 01:45:30PM -0400, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
> Chris Claimed,
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 09:04:38PM -0400, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

[snip]

> >> I'm sure there's a simple answer once
> >> I know where to rtfm.
>
> >What exactly are you trying to do?
>
> Sendmail and mh are working fine on my machine.  Fetchmail is also
> successfully pulling mail from the psu servers.  What I need to do is
> have the outgoing mail for hawk@hawkins.ds.psu.edu be turned over to
> smtp.psu.edu to be sent as reh18@psu.edu rather than delivered directly
> from my machine.  At the moment, I'm reading mail just fine, but to
> reply I end up pasting and using netscape to send back out (otherwise
> the non-subscriber posting to the list problem arises).
>
> I tried looking at the configuration file for sendmail,
> but it's kind of intimidating :)  Also, a global file
> seems to be the wrong place to map the local account to
> the outgoing account . . .

The thing to do is have your MUA put in your own 'From:' line. I'm not
precisely sure how to get mh to do that, haven't used it since grad
days at MIT.

All you should really do for sendmail is go to
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/cf and copy the generic BSD4.4 file to
your own .mc file. Add,

  define(`SMART_HOST',`<your mailserver>')dnl

And then make the .cf file,

  # m4 ../m4/cf.m4 yourfile.mc > yourfile.cf

See /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README for more details. Then move
the new .cf file to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and SIGHUP sendmail.