Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:04:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Network is unreachable"

I guess I shouldn't jump in the middle of this but...

There's no ip address on your ethernet card. Did you
configure one in rc.conf?

ifconfig ed1 192.168.0.x up

then the route command. Actually, you don't need a route
command, if it really is just 2 computers hooked together
with nothing to the outside world or any other machine.

Here's a guess, is 192.168.0.1 you set as the default
route the address you want the FBSD machine to be? Or
is it the Win95 machine and you want your machine to
be 192.168.0.2?

In a previous message, Patrick Seal said:
> Here's some more information on my problem:
>
> dmesg:
> ed1 <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> ...
> ed1: address 00:4f:49:04:c3:06, type NE2000 (16 bit)
>
> arp -a:
> nothing
>
> netstat -rn:
> nothing
>
> ifconfig -a:
> ed1: flads=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	ether 00:4f:49:04:c3:06
> Then some other things that don't seem to matter.
>
> ifconfig ed1 up:
> nothing
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick Seal
> patseal@hyperhost.net
>
> Hyperhost
> Web Hosting and Design
> http://www.hyperhost.net

No. It just means you don't have any custom settings for the kernel.

--
"Always nice to see that technical accuracy doesn't stand in the way
 of good television."          --Derek Hart