Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:28:21 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum documentation

On Friday, 29 November 2002 at 10:36:22 +0000, Adam Laurie wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Thursday, 28 November 2002 at 10:06:24 +0000, Adam Laurie wrote:
>>> ok, i'm obviously not making myself clear...  my problem wasn't
>>> replacing a drive in the RAID, it was replacing the root disk. the
>>> system booted off a seperate stand alone root disk. the RAID is
>>> entirely independant of the root/boot drive.
>>
>> Yes, you're certainly not making yourself clear.  Why did you need to
>> do anything?  In a previous message you stated that you did a 'vinum
>> create', though it's not clear why.  I suggest you send me (in private
>> mail) the information I ask for in the man page.
>
> ok, let's start again... here is a different but functionally
> equivelant scenario:
>
>   imagine you two machines, A & B:
>
>    machine A boots off IDE, and has a SCSI card with an external
> chassis with 10 drives in it.
>
>    machine B boots off IDE, and has a SCSI card but nothing plugged
> into it.
>
>   machine A is configured to have a vinum RAID using only disks on
> the SCSI card, as per my previous emailed config.
>
>   machine B is a fresh install, with no vinum configuration.
>
> describe the procedure for unplugging the external chassis from
> machine A, and plugging it into machine B, and bringing up the vinum
> RAID without re-initialising it (i.e. preserving the data already on
> it).

1.  On machine A, stop Vinum.  Depending on the hardware, you may need
    to shut down.
2.  Remove the chassis from machine A.
3.  Connect the chassis to machine B. Depending on the hardware, you
    may need to shut down.
4.  If you haven't rebooted machine B, run camcontrol rescan on the
    SCSI bus to discover the new disks.
5.  Run 'vinum start'.

> the only data you may take from machine A is the vinum config as per
> my previous email.

As I keep trying to tell you, I don't need that.  But obviously I can
take other data, the Vinum disks themselves.

Greg