Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:23:00 -0400
From:      "James Bowman Sineath, III" <sineathj1@citadel.edu>
To:        "Danny Howard" <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipf blocking pass rule

Thank you, I wasn't aware that it did that.

Your response was my first impression as well, however I looked at it
further and I don't believe that is the case. When I have log first in my
other rules, it rarely takes effect. I used it to cut down on the number of
logs produced, but it only does so within a very short amount of time. I
also have not experienced that problem with any other rules or ports, even
though I have log first in most of my rules.

It always seems to block every other connection attempt, regardless of
timing. It passes the first connection, then the second connection occurs
five minutes later and is blocked, then the process is repeated. Five
minutes later I get another connection attempt that is passed, then the next
one is blocked five minutes later. I don't have this problem with any other
ports or rules, even though this rule is identical to my other pass in rules
except for port number. Thanks again.