Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:09:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jonathan Horne" <jhorne@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd on a newer pc

> trying to install freebsd 6.1 on a hp dc7100 (p4 3.4, sata, a pci-x slot,
> etc).  im having a couple issues getting it up and running with freebsd.
>
> main issue is, i cannot get the system to power off with acpi.  it will
> shutdown, but it stops at a screen that just says "the system  has powered
> off with acpi, hit any key to reboot", or something along that nature.
> ideally, i would like to figure out how to get it to behave normally, and
> fully power itself off when i give it 'shutdown -p now'.  the bios
> mentions lots of S3 related stuff under power management, but i dont have
> a good understanding of what that does.  i did try disabling some stuff,
> but it had no effect on powerdown behavior.
>
> i would appreciate any advice anyone has.
>
> thanks,
> jonathan

well, i figured out that if at the boot selection screen, if i choose
option 2 "boot with acpi enabled", i can then give 'shutdown -p now' and
the system will then power off properly. easy enough...

but how do i set option 2 as my default boot selection?  i dont see
anything about this in the handbook.

thanks,
jonathan